not exactly

Thursday, March 03, 2005

 

the most important book i've ever read to date

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen (don't quote me on the author; going by memory).

I promise that my feelings about it were not influenced, either positively or negatively, by the fact that I read most of it lying on a beach in Cancun. To contradict my previous statement, the only way for it to hit harder would've been if I read it during my sociology class. Feel free to infer that my "professor" is biased to the point of lying outright.

This week: Growing up Gifted, a book that looks more like a textbook than anything, and Hoofbeats and Society, a so-far utterly satisfying anthropological look at the relationships between horses and people. The first chapter, about the Creek tribe (both historically and today), just about convinced me to move to a reservation with my trusty steed and never leave. If you like horses or history or both, read it.





<< Home

Archives

January 2005   February 2005   March 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?