not exactly

Thursday, February 03, 2005

 

if he ever was my president, he's not anymore

I'm with Trey on this one.

I didn't watch the State of the Union--bad blogger, I know--but according to Avi & Kelly's Law (of television), at any given time, somewhere on my digital cable, an episode of Law & Order: SVU is on. 8:00 central time on Tuesday, this proved true and I definitely enjoyed the views of Olivia and Elliot as they did whatever they do.

Trey recapped what I knew Bush was going to say, anyway.

Two years in a row now he has said, in effect, that he want's to enshrine in the highest law of our nation a ban to my equality, forever. No recourse to the courts, no recourse to my state or national legislatures. No, my equality, my family's equality, he wants banned forever. And he announces it in the most important speech of the year. Twice, in case we forgot...

No, he lost me. He is no longer my president. It's not that he has ignored me as a citizen (no, Reagan did that), or abandoned me (Clinton did that), no.. he has singled out me and family as citizens worthy of contempt, enough contempt to forever block my equality and our family's dignity...

He is no longer president.

Read the rest of Trey's post. It's beautiful, just like the rest of his blog.

Bush may have a mandate (does he think he will ever live down that comment?), but the 49% who didn't vote for him are hard at work convincing the 52% of us who were confused and thought they were voting for Nadar that this whole reelection thing really wasn't that good of an idea. I'll just repeat what all of you already know: Bush is not a smart man. Bush is running the country with his Bible instead of his head, much like Clinton ran it with his dick instead of his head. Bush seems to like making a whole lot of Americans really, really cranky with him.

You know, I hadn't had this thought before, but I don't think I would be that surprised (or even upset) if he was assassinated. Yes, I would be upset in that vague indirect way that I am about every unfortunate death (or fortunate one, as the case may be); but in the end, I think the country would be better off without Bush. The country would be better off with someone dedicated to expanding and protecting the rights of all people, not just a select few. The country would be better off if half its citizens realized that someday they could be the ones up against a witch hunt, and don't they want someone on their side then?





<< Home

Archives

January 2005   February 2005   March 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?